With the recent release of the MOPITT Version 8 Level 2 and Level 3 products, the MOPITT team expects to discontinue production of Version 7 products after their annual calibration event in March 2020. Users who may need Version 7 products for 2020 or beyond should contact the MOPITT team well in advance of this date.
Update 08/28: The MOPITT instrument recently recovered from a single event upset on 2019.07.26 that affected the sieve heater for the pressure modulated gas cell used by channel 5. MOPITT science data following this anomaly were degraded. A computer reset was successful in returning the sieve heater to normal operation. The MOPITT team resumed normal science observations on 2019.08.25. MOPITT data acquired between 2019.07.26 and 2019.08.24 should not be used for numerical analysis.
Update 08/23:The MOPITT instrument is currently recovering from a single event upset on 2019.07.26 that affected the sieve heater for the pressure modulated gas cell used by channel 5. MOPITT science data following this anomaly were degraded. A computer reset was successful in returning the sieve heater to normal operation. The MOPITT team hopes to resume normal science observations on 2019.08.24. MOPITT data acquired between 2019.07.26 and 2019.08.24 should not be used for numerical analysis.
Update 08/05: The MOPITT IOT are investigating this anomaly in collaboration with the Univ of Toronto. As a preliminary approach to resolving this, they will begin a hot calibration and computer reset. These procedures corrected the problem when it last occurred. Since July 26, the data is considered unfit for scientific use. We will be offline until about Aug 23.
08/02: On July 26, 2019 at approximately 06:42:03 UTC the Terra Measurements of Pollution in the Troposphere (MOPITT) Instrument experienced a yellow telemetry alert due to low voltage while traversing the South Atlantic Anomaly region. Subsequent issues impacted the data channels. MOPITT is not collecting valid science data at this time. The MOPITT Instrument Operations Team (IOT) is analyzing the event and evaluating recovery procedures. Updates will be provided.
- MOPITT will be performing its quasi-annual Hot Calibration from March 11 through March 22, 2019. It is out of science mode during this period and not producing data.
- In early April, MOPITT will upgrade the processor on lance2 (the redundant backup system) to begin creating Version 8 data. After a period of evaluation they will upgrade the primary system to V8. Users are not expected to notice any change in NRT data quality since the scientific motivation for the upgrade from V7 to V8 corrects subtle long timescale instrument drift.
- MOP03J.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03J_L3.008
- MOP03J.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03J_L3.108
- MOP03JM.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03JM_L3.008
- MOP03JM.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03JM_L3.108
- MOP03N.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03N_L3.008
- MOP03N.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03N_L3.108
- MOP03NM.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03NM_L3.008
- MOP03NM.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03NM_L3.108
- MOP03T.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03T_L3.008
- MOP03T.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03T_L3.108
- MOP03TM.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03TM_L3.008
- MOP03TM.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP03TM_L3.108
Level 2 Products:
- MOP02J.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02J_L2.008
- MOP02J.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02J_L2.108
- MOP02N.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02N_L2.008
- MOP02N.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02N_L2.108
- MOP02T.008 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02T_L2.008
- MOP02T.108 https://doi.org/10.5067/TERRA/MOPITT/MOP02T_L2.108
Access MOPITT Data and Information
Processing and deliveries of the MOPITT Version 6 products will cease on August 31, 2017. Users of V5 and V6 products are encouraged to instead use the V7 products. Please see the V7 User's Guide and errata page for issues in the V6 product that are resolved in V7. In particular, we note that V6N and V6J are not suitable for long term trend analysis. V6 product users who have special needs for V6 products generated for dates after March 31, 2017 should contact the MOPITT/NCAR team and inquire about the availability of such products.
V7 validation results are available in: Deeter, M. N., Edwards, D. P., Francis, G. L., Gille, J. C., Martinez-Alonso, S., Worden, H. M., and Sweeney, C.: A Climate-scale Satellite Record for Carbon Monoxide: The MOPITT Version 7 Product, Atmos. Meas. Tech. Discuss., doi:10.5194/amt-2017-71, in review, 2017.
Update: The effected files were reprocessed and redelivered as of April 10, 2017.
Due to an error in the reported PMC (pressure modulated cell) pressure following the February 2016 calibration activity, it was necessary to reprocess and redeliver MOPITT V6 and V7 data. Since V7 data are processed with interpolated calibration for the archival product, this required reprocessing for 2015 as well. We are still evaluating the resulting errors in total column and vertical profile CO values, but so far these appear to be relatively small (< 0.5%) and should not affect most users who have already downloaded data from 2015 or 2016.
Please check the MOPITT website for updates: https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/mopitt/news.
Processing and deliveries of the MOPITT Version 5 products concluded at the end of 2016. Users of V5 products are encouraged to instead begin using the V7 product. Improvements in V7 products are described here (https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/mopitt/news) and in the User's Guide also available on the MOPITT website (https://www2.acom.ucar.edu/mopitt/publications). V5 product users who have special needs for V5 products generated for dates after December 31, 2016 should contact the MOPITT/NCAR team and inquire about the availability of such products.
The Atmospheric Science Data Center (ASDC) at NASA Langley Research Center in collaboration with the Measurements Of Pollution In The Troposphere (MOPITT) Science Team is pleased to announce the release of Version 7 (V7) of the following MOPITT products:
• MOP02J - MOPITT Derived CO (Near and Thermal Infrared Radiances)
• MOP02N - MOPITT Derived CO (Near Infrared Radiances)
• MOP02T - MOPITT Derived CO (Thermal Infrared Radiances)
• MOP01 - MOPITT Level 1 Radiances
Several significant retrieval algorithm and product format changes are introduced in the V7 product. Details can be found in the V7 User's Guide available on the MOPITT Data and Information landing pages. Featured improvements in the V7 retrieval products include (1) the representation of changing atmospheric concentrations of N2O, (2) improved meteorological fields used in Level 2 processing, (3) improved cloud detection and (4) globally minimized retrieval biases.
Similar to the releases of the V5 and V6 products, three different types of V7 Level 2 products are available based on different subsets of the MOPITT calibrated thermal- and near-infrared (TIR and NIR) radiances. The format and content of these three types of files are identical. The choice of which type of product to use for a particular application depends on the relative importance of sensitivity to CO in the boundary layer, long-term stability, required geographical coverage, and other factors. Users of MOPITT products are encouraged to contact members of the MOPITT Science Team for advice on the appropriate product for particular applications.
A new and improved version of the ASDC MOPITT Search and Subset Web Application has been released. New features include:
- Versions 5 and 6 are now available for search and subsetting
- Subset output files for Version 6 data is now available in both HDF5 and netCDF4 formats
- Login is no longer required to search and subset, only when placing an order for data
- Previous subset and selections made on all pages are now saved for your convenience
Access at MOPITT Search and Subset Tool
New Subsetter for Level 2 Version 5 data
The Atmospheric Science Data Center (ASDC) at NASA Langley Research Center in collaboration with the MOPITT Science Team is pleased to announce the release of the MOPITT Search and Subset Web Application. Features of the Search and Subset Web Application enable a more efficient approach to selecting and ordering data subsets by supporting spatial, temporal and parameter subsetting for the following select MOPITT Level 2 Version 5 products:
MOP02J MOPITT V5 Derived CO (Near and Thermal Infrared Radiances)
MOP02N MOPITT V5 Derived CO (Near Infrared Radiances)
MOP02T MOPITT V5 Derived CO (Thermal Infrared Radiances)
Users can also select data to be downloaded in HDF and NetCDF formats.
The MOPITT Search and Subset Web Application URL: https://subset.larc.nasa.gov/mopitt/login.php